Summers are rich with opportunities for warm weather fun, and you don't have to go far, or spend a lot, to enjoy the best of the season. Here are a few ways to maximize your summer fun without maxing out your budget.
- Visit the farmers market or roadside stands around town. The summer season comes with delicious fruits and vegetables, and there's nothing quite like getting fresh produce directly from the ones who have grown it. Plus, buying from the source often is less expensive than the grocery store and helps support the local growers in your neighborhood.
- Become a tourist in your hometown. Summertime calls for vacation, but that doesn't need to mean visiting a far off place. Are there any historical sites or museums in your town you still haven't visited? A new restaurant you've been waiting to try? Search for places that offer deals to locals and enjoy the activities in your own backyard. You’ll save big on hotel costs.
- Save at the pump — on fuel and more. Several companies offer credit cards featuring fuel rewards, where users fill up their tank and get either rebates or cash back for their purchases. Research which card works best for your lifestyle and start raking in the rewards.
- Take the whole family to the park and enjoy outdoor activities, or grab your swimsuit and hit the pool or the beach. It's low-cost family fun that you'll all enjoy together. Pack a picnic and continue the summer savings.
- Get grilling. You don't need to leave the house to find the party. In the summer, all you need is good food and good company. A potluck-style backyard barbecue is the perfect, low-cost mix of both.